Strong Representation For Accidents Involving Drunk Drivers

While all auto accidents are traumatic, accidents involving drunk drivers can be especially complicated and devastating to victims and their families. Having an experienced personal injury attorney to help you navigate the complexities of Florida's civil laws pertaining to accidents involving drunk drivers can alleviate some of the burden and help to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your loss.

Florida law dictates that anyone driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher can be charged with driving under the influence (DUI). Victims of an accident in which the at-fault driver was charged with DUI may be eligible not only for compensation from the insurance companies, but also to pursue a civil suit against the at-fault driver for negligence.

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a drunk driver, you could be eligible to file a claim against the responsible party. Damages can include compensation for such things as medical bills, missed time at work, pain and suffering, property damage, and even wrongful death.

It is important to note that accepting some forms of compensation may actually restrict your ability to pursue further compensation. For that reason, you should never accept any offer from an insurance company following an accident involving a drunk driver without first consulting with an attorney.

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident and you or a passenger from your vehicle is physically able to do so …

  • First and foremost, ensure that you and the passengers in your vehicle are safe.
  • Call law enforcement to report the accident.
  • Exchange insurance information with the other driver(s).
  • Take pictures of the vehicles, the scene of the accident, any apparent injuries, etc.
  • Call your insurance company to open a claim, but DO NOT make any admissions of responsibility or tell an adjuster that you were uninjured in the accident (as injuries resulting from an auto accident are not always felt right away).
  • Seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered from the accident. (Keep in mind that in order to file a bodily injury claim with your insurance, you must be seen by a doctor — not a chiropractor — within 14 days of the accident, and that doctor must note that you presented for an emergency medical condition as a result of the accident.)

Speak To A Lawyer At Johnson & Montas P.A. Today

We offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and answer your questions. We provide this consultation without any obligation to hire us. Call Johnson & Montas P.A. at 321-307-2048 or fill out our contact form to talk to a lawyer.